Koen van Gilst / January 1, 2021
2 min read • ––– views
At Rabobank, my role as a freelance Frontend Developer involved the creation of a React frontend application from scratch for the Value Chain Viewer project, a pioneering initiative within the Data4Food innovation department. This department is dedicated to developing data-driven solutions to support farmers globally, and the Value Chain Viewer project is a good example of this commitment.
In this project, my responsibilities were:
- Technology Stack: I employed a modern React framework in conjunction with TypeScript, ensuring robust application structuring. The use of Styled Components and Framer Motion enhanced the UI/UX design, while react-testing-library and Storybook facilitated effective testing and storyboarding.
- Frontend Architecture: As the primary frontend engineer for this greenfield project, I was responsible for designing the general frontend framework, ensuring it was both efficient and scalable.
- Collaboration and Integration: The development process involved close collaboration with data scientists, business analysts, and designers. This synergy was crucial in implementing a frontend that effectively utilized the insights provided by various team members.
- Infrastructure Setup: I played a key role in setting up the infrastructure on the Azure Portal, including the integration of a token-based Azure Active Directory, which was vital for security and access management.
- PowerBI Integration: One of my contributions was integrating PowerBI visuals created by data analysts directly into the frontend, thereby enhancing the data visualization aspect of the project.
- Focus on Delivery and Scalability: Initially, the project's focus was on the speedy delivery of a Minimum Viable Product (MVP). Post-MVP, the emphasis shifted to maintainability and scalability, preparing the application for its scale-up phase.
Through this project, I not only advanced the technological capabilities of Rabobank but also contributed significantly to the broader mission of the Data4Food initiative, aiding in the transformation of agricultural practices through technology.